Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Coach K's Coronation night...but not if the Spartans have anything to do with it

I am fully prepared for a Coach K lovefest tonight from the Four Letter Network, with Michigan State treated merely as a minor obstacle in Coach K's coronation as the all-time winningest coach in college basketball history.  I'm just thankful that Dick Vitale isn't the color guy tonight, because the butt kissing would be completely unbearable.  Even with Bob Knight doing the color commentary, I am fully prepared to mute the television.

I expect ESPN to treat tonight's game as if it was a Harlem Globetrotters/Washington Generals game, with MSU receiving slightly more attention than the Generals get when they play the Trotters.

Call me crazy, or just a hopeless homer, but I have a good feeling the Spartans will bring it strong tonight.  It wouldn't shock me if MSU pulled the upset.

Now a little about football.  In my previous post, I wrote that MSU fans were in the awkward position of "rooting for Michigan" this weekend.  Who am I kidding?  I know that virtually no MSU fan in his or her right mind will be rooting for Michigan, even if it does help the Spartans.  The way I see it, regardless of whether Michigan beats Nebraska, it's a win for MSU (provided the Spartans hold their end of the bargain and polish off Indiana).  If Michigan loses, well, Spartan Nation always rejoices in Michigan's demise--so it's merely business as usual.  If Michigan wins (and MSU also wins, of course) then the Legends Division title is ours.  I certainly won't be actively pulling for Michigan, but will merely be indifferent regarding the outcome of their game.

No comments:

Post a Comment