Saturday, November 15, 2014

Some basketball and some football

Since I can't seem to find a computer that works in this house, I'm coming to you from my smartphone.
 
Last night, I was exhausted and slept through the first half of MSU's basketball game against Navy. It appeared that, with the exception of Travis Trice, the Spartan team slept through the entire game.  I caught a second wind and saw the second half and it was ugly. I don't know whether this was just a bad night or this is a sign of things to come. I lean towards thinking this team has deficiencies, at least right now, and Tuesday's game against Duke could be a train wreck.

In my previous post, I attached a photo of the 1950 game program from the MSU/Maryland gridiron tilt. On that day at Macklin Field, the Terps beat the Spartans 34-7 for MSU's only loss of the '50 season. What's most significant about the game, besides it being the last time the programs met on the football field until tonight, is that Michigan State would not lose another game until 1953. Biggie Munn's boys reeled off 28 consecutive victories.

Over all, Michigan State and Maryland have played five football games against each other, all of which took place between 1944 and 1950. The Spartans have won four of those five.

As far as what happens tonight, it all depends on MSU's frame of mind after the Ohio State disappointment. If the Spartans are itching to get on the field, it could be a long night for the Terps, but if the Spartans are still hungover, look out.

I'll pick MSU in a 35-20 win tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment