Monday, February 11, 2013

Spartans in first place, and a day away from a big game

A few posts ago, near the beginning of the Big Ten season, I extolled the virtues of Michigan basketball and proclaimed them the team to beat for the conference title. As a Spartan fan, that was excruciating. I still maintain that Michigan is the team to beat, but a funny thing happened on the road to said conference crown, a few other teams decided that they should be in the discussion as well. Among them is Michigan State, who takes on Michigan tomorrow at Breslin Center.

I thought this year would be a rebuilding year for MSU, but once again Tom Izzo has cast his magic spell on the team and they currently sit atop the Big Ten (with Indiana) at 9-2 (20-4 overall). I thought it would be a long shot for the Spartans to contend for a conference championship. With the departure of Draymond Green, lack of depth, and countless nagging injuries, it's really astounding what this team has accomplished.

I realize it was only Purdue, but I thought MSU played one of their best games of the season Saturday night against the Boilermakers. How many times have the Spartans struggled mightily against weaker competition this season? This didn't happen on Saturday night. MSU was in control of that game from the opening tip. The team looks crisp offensively and has become much more physical. They are playing "IzzoBall" just in time for the stretch drive of the season.

  ***

I am the incredibly lucky recipient of a ticket to tomorrow's Michigan game. It will be, by far, the biggest game I've ever attended in person. This is the first time EVER that MSU and Michigan are playing when both teams are ranked in the top 10. Being an eternal pessimist, I'm concerned that I may bring bad luck to the game by being there in person, but there's no way I can miss the opportunity to attend this game. I'll do everything I can to bring a little luck the Spartans' way tomorrow.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I like the way the Spartans have been playing in their last few games. They may not need my luck to win tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment