Saturday, February 25, 2012

Catching up, and looking forward to Nebraska

It's been more than a week since I've posted in here, and since then the Spartans have defeated Purdue, in an impressive performance in West Lafayette, and struggled to put away Minnesota in Minneapolis. Although the win over the Gophers was far from impressive, those are the type of slog-it-out games a team has to endure to win a championship.

Tonight, the Spartans go up against bottom-feeder Nebraska in an 8 PM game at Breslin.  Like the Minnesota game, this could be viewed as another quintessential "trap" game: go out there without enough energy and the Huskers could sneak out with a win.  Now, I don't think MSU will come out with the same determination they'd have against, say, Michigan or Ohio State (or even Purdue), but I just don't see them losing this game.  If nothing else, Draymond Green won't allow it.  I could see Nebraska hanging with State for a half, but not much more than that.  The Spartans are peaking now, have a Big Ten title in their sights, and should win this one by at least 15 points.

There's been some discussion around here ("around here" being the Lansing area) regarding this season and how it ranks among Tom Izzo's best ever coaching jobs.  I want to see how the rest of the season plays out before I make a final assessment.  If the Spartans go on to win the Big Ten championship, then it has to rank in my top three.  Without doing any research on the matter, and just going with the top of my head, I'd put the 2004-05 season as number one, and the 1999-2000 National Championship season as number two.

I will try and get back to this blog later tonight after the Nebraska game and rehash today's basketball action, something I neglected to do after both the Purdue and Minnesota games.  Between the Michigan/Purdue game at 6:00 and the MSU/Nebraska match up, it should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment