Monday, August 31, 2015

Ready or not, here comes football season

The days of hibernation are over. It's about to begin. Four days from today the Spartans take on Western Michigan...and I will most likely fall down the rabbit hole for the next...uh, eight months (including basketball season).

For the most part, I've tuned out Spartan sports this summer and have focused on "summer activities," i.e. following the Detroit Tigers' increasingly disappointing season (including a couple visits to Comerica Park), going to the beach, venturing "up north" for vacation, etc.

I've listened to enough commentary to realize that this seems to be the most lauded and wildly anticipated MSU football season of my lifetime. Being a Michigan State football fan through mostly mediocre to bad seasons, I'm having a hard time getting used to this new reality. It makes me, well, nervous.

If you've been reading this blog enough, you'll know that my nervousness towards MSU sports--particularly football--is an ongoing theme.

By this point, with four double-digit win seasons in five years, two Big Ten titles, Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl victories (four consecutive bowl victories), it should be abundantly clear to me that Mark Dantonio knows what he's doing and the depressing seasons of John L. Smith, Bobby Williams, et al are in the rearview mirror.

The new reality is that MSU football is a national power and it's okay for me to acknowledge it. It's perfectly acceptable for me to not expect or prepare for "the worst," but to anticipate success on the field.

Easier said than done.

So, consider this my first post of the 2015 football season. I'm back, and preparing myself for what promises to be a wild ride.

Ready or not, it begins in four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment