Thursday, August 30, 2012

One more day...

Out of curiosity, I took a look to see how this year's low number of returning starters for Boise State football compares to years past for that program. Here is what I found, going back to 2009.

2009...14
2010...21
2011...14
2012...6

I have no idea what this means, other than six returning starters is ridiculously low compared to the three previous seasons, which might lead one to believe that Boise State will have some trouble this season. On the other hand, Chris Petersen has demonstrated that he is one of the premiere head coaches in college football, and I highly doubt that he is crouching in fear because he only has six returning starters. He has had several months to prepare for this and my assumption is the new starters will be well prepared.  I also assume that with the higher profile and success Boise State has had over the last six years or so, the Broncos have had incrementally better recruiting classes and, thus, better athletes.

So as usual, I approach another MSU football season with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Don't get me wrong, the last two years have been great, and there is definitely reason for optimism--but I've been a Spartan football fan for too long to get cocky or over confident. Quite honestly, the preseason hype and love MSU has been receiving SCARES me a little bit.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment